Thursday, March 7, 2013
Fifty Things I Want To Teach My Daughter
1. You are beautiful, inside and out.
2. Your worth is not defined by a man.
3. I love you.
4. Share your thoughts even if your voice shakes.
5. Being a mommy may be your most important job but it shouldn't be your only job.
6. You are never too old for me to hold, brush your hair or laugh with.
7. You can always call me. Any hour. Day or night.
8. You can tell me anything.
9. Sunscreen. Apply liberally each and every day.
10. It's better to have less money and be with a man who adores you than to have deep pockets and be with a man who is indifferent.
11. Travel. While you are young and able.
12. If you talk about a friend behind their back it better be a compliment.
13. God loves your reflection in the mirror, don't bash it with a negative internal dialogue.
14. Take pictures. You will never regret too many. But you will regret too few.
15. Take care of your body. Treat it with care. Exercise.
16. If you marry you are to be your husband's wife, not mother.
17. Trust your instincts. If it feels wrong, off, or uncomfortable... it is.
18. Giving up is easy. To keep going takes courage and strength.
19. There will be times in life you don't know whether to scream, laugh or cry. Don't hold back.
20. Eat. Don't live off salad. Have the burger, the fries and the shake. Then some fruit and veggies.
21. Go to the doctor regularly.
22. Have a good cry. Then stand up, dust yourself off and go again.
23. Goodness doesn't equate to boring. That's a lie of the devil.
24. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness. It's smart.
25. Praying is one of the smartest things you can do.
26. Just because so and so is doing "it" doesn't mean you should. "It" might be something really really stupid. And dangerous.
27. Don't be a "people pleaser". Having conflict doesn't mean you aren't nice. Respectfully stand up for yourself.
28. Laugh at yourself.
29. Being an introvert does not make you less valuable. Being an extrovert does not make you more.
30. You can shoot a basketball, throw a punch, shoot a gun, use a compass. You are fully capable.
31. It's the little things. Sending a friend a text that they make you smile. It means a lot.
32. Use proper grammar and spelling. Both are important.
33. Women in magazines are airbrushed and photoshopped. It's all a facade.
34. Look people in the eye, give a firm handshake and smile.
35. Wit, brains and strength last. Beauty is fleeting. The best compliment a person can give you is "You are a beautiful person inside and out."
36. The "popular" kids in school may very well be at their peak in life. Don't compare.
37. Diamond's are not a girl's best friend. Friends are.
38. Being dirty is okay. Gardening, mud splattered pants, sand covering you, it doesn't matter.
39. Thank God every day for your blessings.
40. Movie stars, models and singers are not role models. God is.
41. Be modest. Have boundaries. The woman who leaves something to the imagination with her clothing is more attractive.
42. Always wear a seatbelt. Stay away from drugs and alcohol.
43. You can be happy without the new shoes, new toy, new dvd.
44. Don't get your navel pierced on your lunch break... think on it first. Then think again.
45. There will be times when life is the equivalent to a pain in the rear.... like a hemorrhoid... deal with it accordingly and then move on.
46. It's not your job to keep people happy. Not even your family.
47. It's not about you. If someone mistreats you it's their own issues they haven't addressed.
48. Don't ever let one person be your everything. It gives them too much power. If anyone is to be your everything it should be God.
49. I'll always be there for you.
50. Just be you.